Sunday, November 11, 2012

gifts list

In November of 2009 I started a habit that has changed and shaped my life. A habit that takes less than five minutes out of my day and is this simple: I pick up a pencil and write down what I am thankful for. Three years and 1,377 items later and I am amazed at how this has changed me.

One study has shown that we those who wrote down that they were thankful for weekly were "associated with more positive and optimistic appraisals of one’s life, more timespent exercising, and fewer reported physical symptoms".


I was inspired to try this habit when a farmer's wife in Canada, Ann Voskamp, shared on her blog the dare she had received from a friend to write down 1,000 things she was thankful for. As she shared her journey, and has even written a  New York Time's Best Seller, I decided to jump on the band wagon as well.  

This is a practice that I plan to continue for the rest of my life, and I have a feeling that if more people stopped to write down what they were thankful for they would see a change in their lives as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment